Sunday, October 16, 2011

Trip To Georgia

It had been a year since I'd flown home to visit with my family.  The trip though turned out to be extremely stressful.  Thank goodness I'd make arrangements for Joe to have transportation access, but even that did not take care of all the problems.  It was very difficult for me to try and maneuver our luggage and also to try and assist Joe when he had to walk on his on speed.  During the course of the trip, Joe did well flying to and from Georgia.  However, during our stay he stumbled and fell twice. 

The visit was laced with taking him to dialysis and picking him up several hours later.  It seemed as though I was always rushing to complete visits with friends and family in order to make sure he was at the right place, at the right time.

The day before we left was the worst one though as he was taken to the emergency room.  The evening before I'd tucked him into bed in his room at Ann's home.  He said he was cold and was actually shivering and I added an extra blanket on him.  About 3:15 a.m. I suddenly woke up and felt very strongly that I needed to get up and check on him.  When I entered his room, I found him totally nude.  He'd removed his tee shirt and his diaper.  He was sweating profusely and his entire body was covered in sweat.  He had fallen, face down, across his bed, almost pushing off the mattress and there was evidence of where he'd thrown up.  It was as though someone had poured water on him and there was a shadow of wetness on the sheet around his body.  I managed to turn him over and he slid to the floor and was totally disoriented and couldn't speak.  I ran and woke Ann up and was  immediately checking his blood sugar.  It was normal, but then I called the EMT's.

He was transported to the emergency room where the ER doctor could find no reason for whatever had occurred and released him a few hours later.  The trip home was uneventful and I am so grateful that the medical crisis had not occurred while we were flying nor on the drive home to Wyoming from Denver.

No comments: