Thursday, September 22, 2011

Doctor, Doctor, Tell Me The News...

Joe had exceedingly high blood sugar again this morning - in the mid 400's.  Considering the fact that he almost crashed yesterday when I gave him the correct amount of Humalog when it was almost identical, I didn't give as much today.  However, I found out that he apparently passed out while at the Senior Center this morning.  Luckily there was a health fair going on and EMT's were there to check him out.  Good blood pressure, good blood sugar so what's up?!

He had an eye appointment with Dr. Dodd today.  I made it since he's been saying he thinks he's going blind.  Luckily after an examination, it appears that everything is status quo.  No changes at all in his eyesight.  Apparently the dialysis sessions have just been messing with his eyesight.

Then it was on to physical therapy.  It was just simple walking exercises today which also involved an obstacle course with three items evenly spaced in a line.  He was supposed to go in and out the items just like a slalom course.  He was doing fine for awhile until he decided to circle the middle one a couple of times for no reason - and it wasn't to purposely mess with Kraig or me.  Near the end of the session Kraig asked him to remember a word "perform" which he would ask him to repeat in about 10 minutes.  He couldn't.

After the session, then it was off to the lab again - this time another blood test to test his testosterone.

He went to bed early again tonight - a little after 7:00 p.m.  I'll get him up in a few hours for his night pills and meds.  I just wish he'd get his sleeping straighten out.

--------------------------------------------
Note:  I've realized that if there is a doctor appointment or anything that has been scheduled for Joe, he tends to ask over and over again what and when it's going to happen.  He can't get it straight in his mind.  We can have the same conversation repeated several times in a very short time.

No comments: