When I got up I was hoping for some alone time so I could do dishes and straighten the house up without him being up. There are times that if I have to listen to CNN one more time, I feel as though I'm going to scream. It's usually on every morning when I wake up and a constant in my ear whenever he has the television on. We have a bijillion channels and he's stuck on that one. Then there is usually the questions about " where is my..." and I have to get up to find "it" or he's looking for something and I get up to find it because it's just much easier than having him riffle through things and disturb what organization I might have.
Anyway, only moments after I got out of bed, so did he. I did convince him to take his morning meds and go back to bed for awhile. I took his blood sugar first and the glucometer read "HI" which means it's exceedingly high - off the sliding scale. Instead of the Humalog, I gave him about 5 units of Lantus and hope that will bring it down safely.
I quizzed him about what he might have eaten while I was sleeping as I saw the empty box of Cheerios and the crushed empty milk jug. Somewhere during the time I was unaware of his grazing, he'd also eaten two packets of instant oatmeal and an apple. Heaven only knows what else he may have eaten. I'm so glad that I bought the locking toolbox and have it stashed with things he can't get to. If only I could lock the kitchen door when I'm not home or asleep!
Gonna stop for now and get busy while the house is quiet.
---------------------------------------
We met Trina for lunch today. It's becoming increasingly apparent to me how much Joe is changing when we eat out these days. When we go to the Dragon Wall, I've now started fixing Joe's plate as he has problems walking with it and tends to be on the verge of dumping its contents out on the floor. He also has basically no idea of where his plate should be in relation to feeding himself. Many times I have to move the plate in front of him and push it towards the edge of the table to catch the food that he tries to place on his fork or spoon. We don't have a lot of conversation during the meal. Joe usually buries his face almost in his plate and stays that way until he has cleared his plate as best as he can. At the conclusion of his meal, it now looks as through a small child has just completed eating. That was the case again today at lunch with Trina. One of the frustrating things about his illness is that even simple things such as having a fun lunch alone with friends is becoming a thing of the past. I take him with me so that I can keep my eyes on him and keep him safe as it's becoming increasingly difficult to leave him alone at the house alone. And, I would feel guilty leaving him home while I'm out having a fun time with a friend without him. I am losing my sense of "me" more and more, but would never want to hurt his feelings or make him think I don't love him.
---------------------------------------
Joe is developing a mentality that that when he wants something done, he won't wait until it's convenient to me. Case in point....Our landlord is putting up a new fence. We are unable to reach our trashcan. There were a couple of trashbags that needed to be put into the receptacle. I said I would drop them over the fence "in a little while" and then drive the car around into the alley to retrieve and deposit them. I then went on to do something else. Shortly I heard Joe go out the backdoor and proceed to drop the bags over the fence which forced me to drive the car around immediately so that dogs wouldn't rip into the bags. During the process he lost his balance and fell to the ground and couldn't get up. I saw this and decided to see what he would do. He struggled and struggled to get up, but couldn't. I almost torn the little bush out of the ground trying to use it as levage to get up. He couldn't move his feet behind him or figure out how to crawl to try to stand up. I left him there to prove a point for about 10 minutes. The point being what would have happened had I not been there and eventually helped him up? But then I realized that Joe most likely wouldn't "get the point" as his mind wouldn't remember what had just happened so went to help him up.
A positive point of today is that Joe woke up and knew it was Saturday - he didn't have to ask what day it was.
No comments:
Post a Comment